It’s not just music for your first dance that you may wish to consider but many gay and lesbian couples now have music for their entrance and exit from the ceremony, entertainment for the reception and perhaps a band or DJ for the evening.
Choosing the music for your service should be a choice personal to you and your partner – which songs reflect you as a couple or have special memories for you? Remember not to go picking any hymns as at a civil ceremony you will not be allowed to select any religious songs.
You may choose to hire a string quartet or harpist before or after the ceremony – this can provide an elegant entrance for you and your guests. The type of music they play should not be too loud or overwhelming to prevent conversations between guests. Choose music that you really like and ask the musicians if there is anything they recommend to give you some ideas. Generally hiring a solo harpist will be cheaper than a string quartet as price can be based on the number of musicians.
Popular Songs at Gay Weddings
Music can play a massive part in your wedding day and choosing to play a special song that means so much to you and your partner can be a real focal point for you, your partner and your guests.
You don’t have to have music playing throughout your big day but you may have a strong desire to walk down the aisle to a particular piece of music or have your first dance to a certain song. Music can be played at several points throughout your wedding day and night. Here is a brief guide to when to select your music:
Wedding Ceremony Songs
- Prelude songs (prior to service beginning)
- Processional songs (played as wedding guests are seated)
- Entrance song (played as bride & bride or groom & groom walk down the aisle)
- Interlude songs (played during the service itself)
- Recessional song (played as bride & bride or groom & groom leave the ceremony)
- Postlude songs (played as the guests leave)
Wedding Reception Songs
- First Dance Song
- Last Dance Song
Here is some feedback you have given us so far on your top 20 wedding songs:
1. Amazed. Lonestar
2. From This Moment On. Shania Twain
3. At Last. Etta James
4. Because You Loved Me. Celine Dion
5. It Need You. Tim McGraw & Faith Hill
6. Wonderful Tonight. Eric Clapton
7. Have I Told You Lately. Rod Stewart or Van Morrison
8. I Swear. All 4 One
9. Unchained Melody. Righteous Brothers
10. I Knew I Loved You. Savage Garden
11. The Way You Look Tonight. Frank Sinatra
12. True Companion. Marc Cohn
13. It had to be You. Harry Connick Jr.
14. Could I Have This Dance. Anne Murray
15. Truly, Madly, Deeply. Savage Garden
16. Everything I Do. Bryan Adams
17. Breathe. Faith Hill
18. What a Wonderful World. Louis Armstrong
19. Unforgettable. Nat King Cole & Natalie
20. Just the way you are. Billy Joel